Re: Portable end-of-line deleted from base64

1991-12-17 04:31:32
The portable end-of-line marker was deleted at the IETF meeting in
November. I personally was ambivalent about this concept until I tried to
implement it, and then I found that, far from making things symmetric, the
portable EOL marker in base64 is seriously assymetric. It makes all sorts
of things very hard, including mapping to record-oriented systems, message
integrity checks (since the EOL marker is effectively out of band), and so
forth.

In short, while I did not actively campaign for its removal, I am very very
glad that it is gone, and I will strongly resist reintroducing it.

                                        Ned