ANNOUNCEMENT - UPPER LAYER PROTOCOLS, ARCHITECTURES AND APPLICATIONS

1992-01-25 09:57:41
I know that many of you will receive multiple copies of this but I
don't know of any less painful way to spread it around with one shot.
We don't have any tools for list consolidation.

I have included the listnames of all the lists in the TO field so you
can know what other lists it has already gone to, and avoid additional
replication.

I trust you know how to find and use your msg delete commands.

One purpose of this announcement is to give everyone advance notice of
the dates so you can mark your calendars.

Please note that we are using this short announcement to request
addresses from interested people for sending out the full program
announcement as soon as it is ready.

We will not flood these lists with the final program announcement.

Thank you for your tolerance!  See you in Vancouver!

Best Regards...\Stef

<new-page>

                          ANNOUNCEMENT

                    IFIP International Conference
                               on
       UPPER LAYER PROTOCOLS, ARCHITECTURES AND APPLICATIONS

                         May 27-29, 1992
                     (Tutorials : May 25-26)

                 University of British Columbia
                        Vancouver, Canada

                          Sponsored by:
                     IFIP Working Group 6.5

CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS

The conference will provide an international forum for the exchange of
information on the technical, economic, and social impacts and experiences
with upper layer protocols, architectures and distributed applications. The
format of the conference will be two and a half days of conference paper
presentations and one half a day of workshops.

Papers presented at the conference will cover the following areas :

| - Design, implementation, and experience with distributed applications      |
| - Application layer user agent models and designs                           |
| - Application layer architectures                                           |
| - Application layer programming environments                                |
| - Application communication protocols such as RPC, RO, RTS and multicast    |
| - Group communication models and services                                   |
| - Multimedia applications and communications                                |
| - Interconnection of upper layer and application entities                   |
| - Upper layer conformance and interoperability testing activities           |
| - Security and privacy                                                      |
| - Management and operation of distributed services                          |
| - Mobile communications and the application layer protocols                 |
| - Upper layer network management and naming                                 |
| - Presentation and session layer issues                                     |
| - Abstract syntax notations and transfer syntaxes                           |
| - The impact of very high-speed networking on the upper layers protocols    |

Workshops are being planned on Security, Mail System Management, High Speed
Networking Implications for Application Layer Protocols, and Dialup Transport
for Local Loops Service.

TUTORIAL HIGHLIGHTS

A comprehensive tutorial program will be held on the two days preceding the
conference. The following tutorials will be given :

|              Practical Perspectives on OSI Networking                       |
|                          Marshall T. Rose                                   |
|               OSI Security Techniques and Standards                         |
|                            Warwick Ford                                     |
|    OSF's Distributed Computing Environment (DCE): Concepts and Protocols    |
|                           David Chappell                                    |
|Secure Communication Using X.500 Services for X.400 and Privacy Enhanced Mail|
|                          James M. Galvin                                    |
|                X.400 / X.500 - Where are we Today ?                         |
|                           Erik Skovgaard                                    |
|                               ASN.1                                         |
|                           Bancroft Scott                                    |

Conference Co-Chairs      Program Co-Chairs         Organizing Committee Chair

Einar Stefferud (US)      Gerald Neufeld (CA)       Neil Koorland (CA)
Christian Huitema (FR)    Bernhard Plattner (CH)

                          Program Committee

Jun Adachi (JP)           Erik Huizer (NL)          Peter Schicker (CH)
Raj Ananthanpillai (US)   Neil Koorland (CA)        Einar Stefferud (US)
Gregor Bochmann (CA)      Hannes Lubich (CH)        Mike Schwartz (US)
David Chappell (US)       James McHugh (US)         Marshall Rose (US)
Frank Ferrante (US)       Manuel Medina (ES)        Douglas Terry (US)
James M. Galvin (US)      Barbara Nelson (US)       Pedro Veiga (PT)
Ruediger Grimm (DE)       Juan Saras (ES)           Brian Wideen (CA)
Christian Huitema (FR)

INFORMATION and REGISTRATION

A complete conference and tutorial information and registration package can
be requested by completing and returning the form below :

=============================== cut here =================================

Name____________________________________________________________
          Last                       First              Middle

Organization____________________________________________________

Street__________________________________________________________

City ___________________ State/Country __________ Zip/Code______

Phone ______________________  FAX ______________________________

Email ______________________________

Please note that attendance is limited.  Would you like to reserve a space
at no obligation?

YES. Please reserve a space subject to later confirmation by me    _______

NO. But send me the registration package while I decide            _______

Return via mail, email, or fax to :

                   IFIP '92 Conference
                   c/o OSIWARE Inc., Suite 200
                   4370 Dominion St
                   Burnaby, B.C., CANADA   V5G 4L7

                   Internet:
ifip92(_at_)vancouver(_dot_)osiware(_dot_)bc(_dot_)ca
                   Fax:      +1-604-436-3192