Re: RichText, etc.

1992-02-04 15:13:00
MNEMONIC:
  On another note, I've done a quick survey of folks I know on EUnet
connected systems and am unable to find anyone outside Denmark who
uses Mnemonic or plans to.  Most had never heard of it.  The only
person I could find who does use it is someone who is connected to
Keld's system dkuug.dk.  My sample space is significant and includes a
number of countries but is obviously not everyone in EUnet or every
site in Europe.

Well, this is because the software is installed at the backbones, and
not at user sites (normally). Did you ask EUnet backbones?

  One EUnet-connected sysadmin I contacted has told me that his
understanding was that Mnemonic was an acceptable format but was not
preferred.  He said that EUnet's official position remained that 8-bit
SMTP and ISO-8859-1 are the sole preferred mail mechanisms, but that
there were a number of others that were OK as interim measures.

  At a minimum there appear to be some communication problems
(language barriers ?) within the EUnet community here, because this is
not consistent with what I heard Keld say on this list.

Ran
atkinson(_at_)itd(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil

Well, it seems that there is some misunderstanding.
Here is a statement from the Chair of EUnet, Michael Nowlan:
(Keld-char is EUnet codeword for RFC-CHAR and previous RFC-QREADABLE)