Re: handling older ISO-646 displays

1992-02-04 14:08:13
  One thing that has frankly never been very clear to me is why
none of the Europeans who are unhappy about the large installed
base of ISO-646 variants has built a conversion lookup table into
their MTA that sends the data across the wire as ISO-8859-1
and converts it to the local ISO-646 variant if necessary at
display time.  The number of glyphs is small enough to fit in
a static array lookup table even on a small machine.  Since the
size is quite small, the performance shouldn't be noticable
-- especially since most of the ISO-646 equipment is video
terminals connected via RS-232-like serial lines.

Ran
atkinson(_at_)itd(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil

Well, I think it is because 8-bit is not allowed, so if
you run 7-bit then you are in a conforming state and
need not break the RFCs.

Anyway, my software can do it, that is 8-bit on the
wire and 7-bit locally. This breaks RFC-822 tho, and
the other combination: 7-bit on the wire and 8-bit locally
is indeed more commonplace...

Keld