Re: Content-transfer-encoding: x-uue

uuencode works just fine in its common environment
(netnews)...

Uuencode sort of works well enough for news.  However, it's definitely
*not* good enough for mail.  You might note that in the C News distribution,
we supply bencode (which is similar in flavor to base64 although not quite
identical in detail) for encapsulating news when sending it via mail.
There is a reason why we didn't just use uuencode:  it does not work
reliably for this application.  In particular, it does not get data
through Bitnet mail reliably.  The folks at Waterloo who wrote bencode
did so out of necessity, not out of desire to reinvent the wheel; their
news feed came via Bitnet mail for a while.
[text deleted]

Have you considered xxencode?  It works similarly to uuencode, but
uses a safe character set.  I am working on a new version now, but you
can find the old version in the wuarchive.wustl.edu ftp server in the
mirrors/msdos/starter/xxinstal.bat file.  Unfortunately, you must have
an MsDos system to decode it.  Write to me if you want it in an
uuencoded mailing.  -David-

# david(_at_)wubios(_dot_)wustl(_dot_)edu             ^     David J. Camp
         #
# david%wubios(_at_)wugate(_dot_)wustl(_dot_)edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
         #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things." #
#        "I am a Member of the League for Programming Freedom."         #