Re: Content-transfer-encoding: x-uue

1992-02-13 06:52:25
Otto -- First of all, I hope my message didn't seem like a criticism of
you -- I was VERY happy to see your postings, but I wanted to raise,
with the MIME group, the one problem I thought your posts brought up,
and I CC'ed you because I didn't want to do it "behind your back".

Now, the main reason I'm answering you is the CRC issue:  We all agreed
that a CRC for base64 would be a good thing, but we were unable to agree
on one.  It is, however, the kind of thing that can be phased in later
without much pain, which is why decided to defer it.  (Imagine a
"Content-CRC:" header, for example.)

Finally, I would not be too surprised if the garbling you've seen is the
result of using uuencode instead of base64.  The whole point of base64
is that it is much less prone to being garbled than uuencode!  This
doesn't mean that a CRC is not a good idea, merely that the problem
you've had may be further evidence of the desirability of base64.

Anyway, I'm really sorry if you feel attacked -- that was NOT my
intention at all!  -- Nathaniel