Re: new rfc-char and rfc-mnem drafts

1992-02-24 10:23:33
Erik,

I am glad to hear of your support for a separate 2022-jp (sic) document, as
well as your offer to work on it and belief that JUNet involvement is
needed.  I am less clear about the need for a complete English-language
spec, though it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I don't know of a definitive proof, but I do not believe that IAB rules
REQUIRE the English language spec.  I do think that a basic description of
the -jp mechanism, and a spec of the surrounding syntax (enough to detect
and skip the contents) would be highly advisable.

I have hoped for a separate document for a very specific politicial
reason (using "political" in the constructive sense of "being politic" or
"being polite and proper") which is that this topic is one that we,
the IETF, are not generally familiar with and I think that there should be
a very clear identification of the IETF individuals who are claiming to
represent the expertise, so that they can get the benefit of its
accuracy (or not...)  Running the spec through JUNet should add useful
amounts of technical credibility to the content.

Dave