Re: NEW MIME DRAFT AVAILABLE!

1992-02-28 12:09:41
Greg writes:

      The Last Call for MIME was sent Thu Jan 16 14:00 EST.  It has
gone to the IESG, and the IESG sent it back with requests for changes.

I have not seen it in the mailings I get (and I see other Caslt Calls),
but anyway I will not question that it has been mailed. It would have
been good if a Last Call also had been sent to the 822-ext WG.

Nmemonic is not in a state where it can be referenced by MIME.  One of
the points the IESG made was that citations of external works which
create a dependency must be clarified and rationalized.  This has
caused the dropping of several references, mostly in the image format
section, but also iso2022-jp and iso 8859-10.

Well, the mnemonic specs could be made into a state where
it was referenceable.

This does in no way preclude NMEMONIC use in MIME as defined in a
separate content-type document.  If NMEMONIC is desired as the
prefered character set by EUNET, is free to profile or require
NMEMONIC usage for their environment.

As stated before, we do not want a regional spec, but a minimum
mandatory support, available worldwide. This is much in line
with what Nathaniel wrote about his wishes for RichText support.

keld