Re: The newlines problem...

1992-03-02 20:56:36
I have sent you (in private mail) a copy of the explanation by Mark Crispin,
who, being a native english speaker and a real expert, did better than I
can do at explaining this.                                       /AF

Thanks. I re-read Mark's explanation (which I agree is good), and I
now see your point more clearly. (Sorry!) It seems to me that MIME
really only needs some clarification. I'm not sure where changes would
be necessary, but at least one of those places might be:

                 Rule #4 (Line  Breaks):  A  line  break,  whatever  its
                 representation   is   following   the   local   newline
                 convention, must be represented by  a  (RFC  822)  line
                 break,  which  is  a  CRLF  sequence,  in  the  Quoted-
                 Printable encoding. If isolated CRs and LFs, or  LF  CR
                 and  CR  LF  sequences  are allowed to appear in binary
                 data according  to  local  conventions,  they  must  be
                 represented   using  the  "=0D",  "=0A",  "=0A=0D"  and
                 "=0D=0A" notations respectively.

The above paragraph could be made clearer by indicating that "text"
must be converted to the Internet CRLF format before applying the
quoted-printable encoding, and that other, non-text objects should not
be converted to CRLF format before q-p'ing.

Nathaniel's objection that UNIX's sendmail expects text in the local
newline format is resolved by your comment (in the 2nd diagram) that
the output of the quoted-printable encoder should be in local newline
format. This is just a repeat of what others have said about "adding
another level" of encoding. Are we going around in circles again?
Again, I'm sorry.

Guys, let's clarify.

Regards,
Erik