clarification re: mnemonic to proposed standard

1992-04-01 22:20:20
My recent message to this list regarding mnemonic may have been
misunderstood, so I'd like to state my opinion more carefully.

I believe Mnemonic to be valuable work, and a reasonable interim solution to
the problem of representing text from many languages in electronic mail.  I
therefore support registering it as a MIME character set.

However, I do not recommend promoting it to proposed standard status.  My
reason for this has nothing to do with the quality of the work, or that
Mnemonic works better for some languages than for others.  It is simply that
a standard should be something that will be used for a long time, and this
will not be the case for Mnemonic.

Keith Moore