MIME and TCP/IP over ATM

1992-05-27 12:33:31

I am on the brink of convincing a (very big) client that MIME/SMTP is the way
to go in the immediate and shortterm future in multimedia mail.  He is
planning to move towards ATM for local and wide area networks, but has a few
questions I am having trouble answering.

I have 2 very basic questions for those of you MIME/TCPIP experts out there:

1.  Can MIME and TCP/IP run over ATM at 100 - 622 Mbps?
    Is this being done now?

2.  At what equivalent OSI layer does SMTP run? Layer 4?
    How about MIME?

(any extra supporting verbiage is also appreciated).

Thanks,
anderson(_at_)tramp(_dot_)colorado(_dot_)edu