Re: MIME use?

1992-08-20 21:58:11
# How is MIME use developing in the non-English speaking parts of
# the world? How is it competing and/or integrating with previous
# ad hoc methods?
#
# Are there plans for RFCs to define new character sets, audio
# formats, etc? Are these being discussed on other mailing lists?

I'm not an authority on it, but since nobody else is answering I'll
give it a shot..

Earlier this year there was a mailing list net-char(_at_)sra(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp
discuss the character set (encoding) used in the Japanese networks,
and to register it officially.  It was going to be called ISO-2022-JP.
There was a draft written by Erik M. van der Poel (old address
erik(_at_)sra(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp).  The last one I have seen was dated April 10.
I think this draft was also posted to some of the fj newsgroups
for review and comments.  I have no idea what came out of it.
I think Erik was waiting for MIME to be an official RFC before
proceeding further.

I have also seen proposals for a Hangul encoding with ISO-2022 by
Uhhyung Choi <uhhyung(_at_)ns(_dot_)kaist(_dot_)ac(_dot_)kr> and a Vietnamese
Quoted-Readable
specification by Viet-Std(_at_)Haydn(_dot_)Stanford(_dot_)EDU(_dot_)

Now there is a mailing list mime(_at_)etl(_dot_)go(_dot_)jp to discuss the use
of MIME in mail and news in Japan.  Current discussions are on
the use of ISO-2022-JP in richtext, RFC1342 encoded headers, where
to put the RFC1342 header encoders when using MH, etc..
This mailing list is in Japanese (ISO-2022-JP).  Contact Yutaka Sato
<ysato(_at_)etl(_dot_)go(_dot_)jp> for more information.

--
Hitoshi Doi, International Open Systems Engineering
doi(_at_)jrd(_dot_)dec(_dot_)com