Re: MIME use?

1992-08-21 04:52:33
Hi ietf-822 folks, long time no email! My email address has changed
(see above). I've deleted the net-char(_at_)sra(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp mailing list
(there
wasn't any traffic on it anyway). Although the discussions on the
net-char list were often interesting and brought up some new ideas, a
multilingual encoding for worldwide email seems (to me) to be pretty
far off, though some progress is being made within Japan by the Mule
people (MULtilingual Emacs).

I pretty much finished the ISO-2022-JP document and was about to post
it to some Japanese newsgroups and/or the internet drafts directories
when it became clear that my email address would be changing, so I
decided to postpone. Lately I've been wondering whether the document
is really needed. After all, the people that want to use the encoding
already know how to do it! Also, since most of the email and netnews
floating around in Japan currently does not use MIME headers, MIME
implementations will have to be able to detect and display ISO-2022-JP
even if there is no Content-Type header. (Yes yes, RFCs 821 and 822
explicitly say "ASCII", but so what? ISO-2022-JP is simply a fact of
life in Japan.) Oops, I think I may have pushed some of the wrong
buttons here...

Anyway, I guess there's no harm in registering ISO-2022-JP with IANA
and then waiting to see whether it catches on. If people agree, I'll
go find the doc and post it.

Regards,

Erik van der Poel