Re: new version of ISO-2022-JP document

1992-12-03 05:27:34
Harald Tveit Alvestrand writes:
I see you deleted the text referencing the use of this standard in
the headers.
Should we read this as:
- DO NOT use JP in headers, or
- I DON'T CARE if you use JP in headers?

If the first, I would want a lengthy explanation. If the second, I
will just observe the developments.

Well, it's the second, so perhaps I should add some wording to the
document.  A proposal:

   This document names the encoding "ISO-2022-JP", which is intended to
   be used in the "charset" parameter field of MIME [MIME] messages. The
   use of ISO-2022-JP in RFC 1342 [RFC1342] headers is expected to be
   the subject of a separate document.
+  However, experimentation with ISO-2022-JP/RFC1342 headers is
+  encouraged.

   This document only describes the encoding of plain text. The encoding
   of other subtypes of text, such as richtext, is not discussed here.
+  Again, experimentation with ISO-2022-JP richtext is encouraged.

Objections, anyone?  If so, suggestions?

Thanks,
Erik