MIME & ISO-10646

1992-12-06 09:35:24

  We talked last spring and summer at length about making sure that we
could handle ISO-10646.  We deferred much mention of it on the grounds
that it wasn't finalised yet by ISO.  I'm recently told that ISO-10646
is now fully approved by ISO.

Is this true ?

If true, do we need to do more than register that value with the IANA ?

Since it is more than 8-bits, is there some reason (that I haven't thought of)
why we should pick a particular convention on encoding it into 7 bits?
I don't think we need to do this last.

  Might I suggest that when MIME progresses from its current status to
its next status that we add informative text indicating ISO-10646 as
the preferred character set for multilingual email.  This would tend
to reduce the proliferation of character sets, which all agree is A
Bad Thing.

Ran
atkinson(_at_)itd(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil