Re: Richtext and SGML (Was: MIME to Draft Standard)

1993-01-19 18:35:43
I'd like to add a vote for keeping richtext or something with similar
features (standard easy to implement rich text).

The greatest strength of Internet technology is interoperability,
but I think one of it's weaknesses is ease of use and features that
make a real difference to the non-computer litterate end users. Such
users will perceive the ability to send rich text as a substantial
increase in functionality. If some one is trying to choose between a LAN
based technology and Internet technology for e-mail, rich text will help
the Internet technology look more appealing.  Many times the user
interface and such features figure more in the decision than
interoperability especially for new and inexperienced sites.

I've also noticed that people make a lot of use of rich text features
when it is available to everyone at the site. It seems to enhance
communucation.

LL