Re: the Mode option question in Message/External-Body

1993-01-21 20:38:48
From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)thumper(_dot_)bellcore(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: the Mode option question in Message/External-Body

Since the default for FTP is "ascii", I always assumed that this was the
default for the MIME external body with access-type ftp.  Is there
really an ambiguity here?

Well, it wasn't obvious to me.  I would have assumed "binary", since
that allows the type to be encoded in its canonical form free from
host-specific newline issues (and is a bit more efficient, besides).

It seems worthwhile to specify that "ascii" is the default, if that's
what is intended.

Keith