Focus and goals (was: MIME to Draft Standard)

1993-01-23 12:15:24
Some very interesting discussions are taking place on the list, apparently
MIME to Draft.

I fear that folks are losing sight of the agenda, however.

Debates about old subjects are not very useful when there is no new
information.  Debates about what "ought" to be done by "someone" are
not very useful.

E.g., there is an extension debate about richtext, sgml, etc, happening.
I believe that none of it is relevant to the MIME agenda.  There is
a proposal to separate the richtext spec from MIME and I believe that
_all_ partiies are, in fact, in agreement with the suggestion, although
the various parties may well have different reasons for agreeing.

But agree you do (I think), so I suggest holding off on the more
interesting general debate until getting closure on the immediate
agenda for MIME.

The topics that are fair game are limited to errors in the spec, additions
that are essential trivial, and changes that are the direct result of
recent experience.  Debates about future usage, in the absence of hard,
current experience, are almost certainly inappropriate, at this phase of
the specificification.

Remember that major changes to the spec effectively delay progress on
the standards path.

Dave
Dave