Re: simpletext: an alternative to Richtext

1993-01-23 16:16:13
About simpletext, text/enriched

-> It also basically standardizes (and extends slightly) a common practice
-> with which the Internet community has 15 or more years of experience: we
-> know that this level of detail is needed and will be used and that this
-> is a plausible way to do it.
->    --john

Take an example of simple email usage on a remote terminal at 2400 baud.
An email novice is lucky, at times, to get anything successfully sent at
all but an educated user could, with this very simple tool, know that
formatting the text in certain simple ways, according to some simple rules,
would enhance the appearance of his/her mail on simpletext UAs.

This would have the added advantage(?) of standardising the usage of these
text 'signals' even in a raw ascii context, which is all we have at the moment,
and leave the richtext development uncompromised for further development.

 : WorkNet/UUCP : mconstab(_at_)alsvid(_dot_)une(_dot_)edu(_dot_)au : Mark
Constable : +61 66 802584 :