Re: printable wide character (was "multibyte") encodings

1993-02-10 02:29:07
Erik's mail that I'm responding to here is rather old

Thanks for the response.  (Better late than never! :-)

I agree rather strongly with everything you said, but I have a
question about the following:

For this purpose, there is strong
reason to prefer something like UTF-2 that will minimize breakage in
the vast body of 8-bit code.

Whether or not I agree with you here would depend on what, exactly,
you are talking about.  If you are referring to Unix-like systems and
using UTF-2 in files and even filenames, I agree.

But if you are talking about what this list is supposed to be
discussing, namely, email, then I'm afraid that I have some doubts.
Although the other list (i.e. ietf-smtp) has been doing some fine work
and some of it may even be successful (especially the SIZE extension
or whatever they're calling it), I have doubts about the 8-bit stuff.

I could go on and on about this, but most of it would be guess-work,
and I don't feel like burdening this already-burdened list with that,
so I'll skip it.

I'm beginning to think that we should just start implementing stuff,
and wait and see what catches on...

Erik