Re: simplemail (formerly simpletext) and referential markup

1993-02-10 21:34:58
Bill Janssen wrote:

[...]

I'd like to add some referential markup to the mainly
descriptive/presentational system, though, and thought I'd solicit
comments from this list.

I think that you should
(1) use something like the SGML IDREF/ID mechanism, which is easy to type
    and is more likely to be compatible with future software and with the
    enriched text thingy :-)
(2) use SGML-style tags unless there is a clear reason not to do so -- there is
    really no need to re-invent the wheel here

Alternatively, why not just add these facilities to the MIME enriched text
format?  Either you have SimpleText or you don't; IntermediateGradeMail seems
to be stretching things a bit!

      [ref: /tmp/foo]

And on non-unix systems?
        [ref: vol2.[users.local.tmp].foo;2]
or
        [ref C:\tmp\foo]
are filenames too...

and a message-part reference would look like

      [ref: <a3fd590083.foo.parc.xerox.com>]
[...]
      [ref: access-type=anon-ftp, name="/pub/foo/b.tar.Z",
site="parcftp.parc.xerox.com", mode=image]

I suggest instead
        <ref type="file" id="/etc/passwd">An interesting binary file</ref>
and
        <ref type="message" id="<a3fd590083.foo.parc.xerox.com>"></ref>
and
        <ref access-type="anon-ftp" name="/pub/foo/boys.gif"
                site="parcftp.parc.xerox.com" mode="binary" action="display">
        A picture of James and his friends in the cathedral</ref>

Here you have an established method for representing the attribute-value pairs
such as access and name that you give in your examples, and also a placeholder
for a piece of text that might help the reader decide whether to follow the
reference or not.

Another thing I've been thinking of is to re-cast the footnote notion as
referential markup, e.g. [note: a footnote might look like this].  This
seems both clear in intent, easy to parse, and easy to understand upon
seeing the direct presentation.

Comments?

I'd prefer either:
        <fn-text tag="1">a footnote might look like this</fn> Another thing
        I've been thinking of is to re-cast the footnote notion as referential
        markup, e.g. <fn tag="1">.  This seems both clear in intent, easy to
        parse, and easy to understand upon seeing the direct presentation.
or, better,
        Another thing I've been thinking of is to re-cast the footnote notion as
        referential markup, e.g. <fn>a footnote might look like this</fn>.  This
        seems both clear in intent, easy to parse, and easy to understand upon
        seeing the direct presentation.

I am not suggesting that you use SGML, just that you use its syntax in a way
that minimises new invention.

But I am not sure that there is much point in xrefs and feetnote if you don't
have bold, italic, paragraphs, special squiggles (&pilcrow;) and so forth.
Perhaps there is, but I am not sure.

Lee

--
lee(_at_)sq(_dot_)com (Liam Quin) the barefoot programmer; SoftQuad Inc +1 416
239 4801