Re: charsets and glyphs

1993-02-18 12:59:44
To:  ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu
Subject:  Re: charsets and glyphs
Date:  Thu, 18 Feb 93 20:25:20 JST

I would also prefer that the MIME2 document not specifically exclude "bare
10646"...especially since we don't know what IS 10646 will be yet, and
simply because this might be confusing.

Hmmm, then, instead of 10646, let's refer to

      the Indian national standard ISCII-1988

from which devanagari section of DIS 10646 is derived.
[...which intentionally requires its use to be associated with sanskrit or
hindi.]

I'll make a stronger statement.  I'd prefer that the MIME2 not make *any*
recommendations on whether a given charset is appropriate for a particular
use, outside of recommending US-ASCII for when compatibility is desired with
non-MIME mailers.

The reasons are:  (1) this WG doesn't have enough expertise to make such
recommendations, and (2) the "best character set to use" will change from
time to time as people replace their old hardware and software with new
stuff that implements 8859/* or 10646 or whatever.

Keith