Re: charsets and glyphs

1993-02-18 18:48:24
Dave Crocker writes:

A word from another working group member, namely myself:

    ---- Included message:

    I'll make a stronger statement.  I'd prefer that the MIME2 not make *any*
    recommendations on whether a given charset is appropriate for a particular
    use, outside of recommending US-ASCII for when compatibility is desired
wit
    non-MIME mailers.

    The reasons are:  (1) this WG doesn't have enough expertise to make such
    recommendations

YES!  ABSOLUTELY!  RIGHT-ON!

Now, you might think that these are 3 words, not one, but it is one
worded, coded verbosely.

In other words, folks, Keith has it exactly right.

Now, can we move on?

Speak for yourself, Dave!

This group was initially set up to enhance Internet mail with
support for other character sets than ASCII. You can ask Phil
Gross for verification.

And there is a lot of character set expertise on the Internet
field  gathered here. From the top of my head I have:

Erik van der Poel
John Klensin
Olle Jaernefors
Harald T. Alvestrand
Myself
Peter Svanberg
Erik Naggum
Henry Spencer
Ned Freed
Ran Atkinson
Patrik Faeltstroem
Dan Oscarsson
Johnny Ericsson
Otha-san
Mark Crispin
Borka Jerman-Blazic

That's a lot of good names! (I hope I have them right, and also
hope I do not offend somebody by not having them on the tip of my
tounge). I do not know a forum on email and charset support with more
expertise. The only people I can think of missing, are some
EBCDIC people.

Dave, I am a bit unhappy with your persistent tries to remove
the character set issues from this WG. This is even more
serious as you are holding official IETF positions like the standards
manager position. Could I respectfully ask you to respect the charter
of this WG?

Keld