RE: RFC 1342 bugs & suggested fixes

1993-02-24 16:44:37
Do we want to say US-ASCII and not ASCII here?

Is there some subtle issue here?  ANSI X3.4 says the character set's
name is "ASCII" (at least as of the copy I read) even though that is
no longer an acronym for the long version of the name.  My impression
is that the "US" is a historical relic.

The issue here isn't what X3.4 says, it is what people read into the term
"ASCII". Experience has shown that national variants and all sorts of other
things are often grouped under the ASCII nomiker in people's minds. As a result
MIME went out of its way to define and use the term US-ASCII, which is
specifically defined in RFC1341 to mean "ASCII as defined in X3.4". The use
of the term ASCII was considered but rejected.

If we're going to relabel RFC1342 to be "MIME Part 2", I think it is very
important that we clear up any notational inconsistencies between the two
documents.

                                        Ned