Re: RFC 1342 bugs & suggested fixes

1993-02-22 15:59:28
Keith, in general I agree with all your changes. I'm only going to comment
in places where I have something additional to say.

1.  Title

    Problem: title doesn't include the word "MIME"

    Suggested fix: rename document to:

    "MIME: Message Header Extensions for Non-Ascii Text"

    (Maybe the docs should say "MIME: Part 1" and "MIME: part 2"?)

I think this is an excellent idea and one we should definitely implement.

4. multi-byte character sets:

    Problem: RFC 1342 did not consider multi-byte character sets,
    and character sets with switching sequences (e.g. ISO-2022-JP).

    Suggested fixes:

    1.  An encoded-word must encode an integral number of characters.

    2.  If a charset uses code-switching sequences to switch between "ASCII
    mode" and other modes, each encoded-word implicitly begins in "ASCII
    mode", and if necessary, must contain appropriate sequences such that
    the charset interpreter is again in "ASCII mode" at the end of the
    encoded-word.

Another way to handle it would be to declare any modes as reset automatically
at the end of an encoded word. I would recommend a combination of both: State
that all software generating encoded-words MUST reset to "ASCII mode" at the
end of the encoded word, and all display software MUST perform such a reset
operation regardless of what state it is left in.

Do we want to say US-ASCII and not ASCII here?

5.  conformance section:

    RFC 1342 currently states:

    A mail composing program claiming compliance with this specification
    MUST ensure that any string of printable ASCII characters in a
    message header that begins with "=?" and ends with "?=" be a valid
    encoded-word.

    There are many places in a header where such strings are legal, but where
    an encoded-word isn't.  For example, in an address:

    To: =?foo?=(_at_)some(_dot_)where

    We should not require the mail composer to quote the "=?foo?=" (since
    this might even change the meaning of the address), and we don't want
    this treated as an encoded-word.

    Suggested fix:

    Change the above "compliance" paragraph to read:

    A mail composing program claiming compliance with this specification
    MUST ensure that any string of printable ASCII characters in a "text"
    entity within a header, or any "atom" within a "phrase", that begins
    with "=?" and ends with "?=" be a valid encoded-word.

Don't you also need to mention "ctext" here?

6.  header folding:

    Problem: RFC 1342 contains the sentence:

   "Message header lines that contain one or more encoded-words should be
    no more than 76 characters long."

    Someone has suggested that this might be misconstrued to restrict
    the length of an entire header field.

I agree most emphatically; people often cite RFC821 restrictions on line
lengths as restrictions on overall header length. This sort of thing has
to be nipped in the bud.

    Suggested fix:  Change to "Each line of a message header field that
    contains an encoded-word should be no more than 76 characters long."

Remphasizing that header fields have no real length restrictions at all would
also be appropriate.

That's it. A clean and clear set of changes overall.

                                Ned