Re: 10646 etc.

1993-02-19 18:26:57
  Unless I am badly mistaken, neither Unicode nor
  So it seems to me that
  if your preferred language is, say, Japanese, and if
  most or all of the e-mail that you receive is in
  Japanese, the thing to do is arrange for your default
  mail-reading configuration to render Unicode/10646
  ideographs using your preferred, Japanese font.

I agree, provided that *all* the ideographs so-merged have truely parallel
semantics in each language, which is apparantly not the case.

It is rare for Japanese to comprise only HAN (Kanji) characters, I should think
that a smart reader-program could differentiate C/J/K by a scan for the
inevitable (and presumably identifiable) hiragana and katakana (for Japanese),
or the Korean phonetic alphabet (hangul?, sorry, I forget).  Mixed C/J/K would
remain a quandry, tho quotes could be resolved independantly insofar as they
could be distinguished.  Of course it is possible that UNICODE attempted to fold
the phonetic alphabets of J/K into each other, which would have been most
unfortunate (sorry, I lack access to a copy of the spec at this time).

As a seperate, but important issue, the additional burden of specifying a
glyphset-flavor/fontname is not a problem unique to c/j/k, as such it deserves
some form of support independant of this issue.

Since this seems to be boiling down to simple common sense, can we please move
on to more fruitfull discussion?  My mail is becomming a challange to get thru,
mostly because of ietf-822 traffic, but I am loath to sign off.
--
dana s emery <de19(_at_)umail(_dot_)umd(_dot_)edu>