PD Compression from GNU?

1993-03-04 05:30:13
As most of you know, having a standard way of doing compression of MIME
data is something that we've all wanted all along.  What we have lacked
has been a good, well-specified algorithm (NOT just a piece of C code)
for compression that is not encumbered by an legal/patent restrictions.

Well, the GNU foundation has long wanted a similar thing.  They believe
they have solved the problem.  They have a new program called "gzip"
that they say does excellent compression without violating any patents.

The question for this list is:  does anyone out there know enough about
compression to figure out if this is what we've been waiting for to add
compression to mail?

I've written to the author fo gzip for further information, and will
post to this list anything important I receive.  -- Nathaniel