RE: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-04 04:54:24

From: Ned Freed <NED(_at_)SIGURD(_dot_)INNOSOFT(_dot_)COM>

I still disagree. I look at these things mostly from a gateway perspective,
and
to me the mixed/parallel/alternative subtypes are not presentation issues at
all. Gateways should handle them very differently

I'm just going by what 1341 says, and the only distinction is makes between
multipart mixed and parallel is in terms of "displayed serially" vs.
"displayed simultaneously".  That's not a presentation issue?

I'm glad others are talking about removing "displayed serially" from
multipart/mixed, but multipart/parallel should be fixed as well.  In the
end, multipart/mixed should mean "here are some things in a meaningful order"
and multipart/parallel should mean "here are some things in no particular
order".

  presentation := "Content-Presentation" ":" style
  style        := "indirect" / "serial" / "parallel"

I dislike this intensely for all the reasons I've already described. Even if
we
ignore the presentation/interpretation issue, using a separate header for this
information is a bad idea because of all silly states it introduces when you
use it in contexts where no multipart/anything is to be found.

You are being inconsistent:

From: rens(_at_)lorax(_dot_)shearson(_dot_)com

"add a Content-Disposition header to the headers enumerated
in rfc1341, with initial allowable values of 'inline' and
'attachment. Said header will only be legal in bodyparts,
not in top-level messages.'
Does this sound like what we want?

I think it sounds great. Go for it!
                              Ned

Anyway, I don't like contextual header lines (like Content-ID) either.
I was trying to shift inappropriate information out of multipart
subtype definitions.  It's fine with me if we take presentation
information out entirely.  But I entered this discussion to point out
that attachments are a presentation issue as well, and we should have a
consistent treatment.

Jay
--
Jay C. Weber                                    weber(_at_)eitech(_dot_)com
Enterprise Integration Technologies