RE: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-03 16:20:52
... Still, I support your desire to remove the
"displayed serially"; "mixed" does not imply time in the way
"parallel" does; it strikes me that most graphical MUAs will simply
display multipart/mixed as a list of icons or buttons, allowing the
user to choose which she wants to look at, and when. ...

I agree with this and would like to be able to do that.  But there's
this idiom people are using to display multi-charset text.  There's
an example in one of Nathaniel's sets of slides with English and a
little bit of embedded hebrew.  Uses three body parts for this (and
I don't recall if it's /parallel or /mixed... the idiom is using /mixed)

My preference is to show an outline in a scrolling list and let
users select bodyparts at will & random.  Some parts of the outline
would not be shown unless the user asked to see the full message structure.

Given a message following this idiom.. the list will have three entries,
one for each section of the text.  But it really needs to be shown together
in one edit area since this is what the idiom is expecting.

<- David Herron <david(_at_)twg(_dot_)com> (work)
<david(_at_)davids(_dot_)mmdf(_dot_)com> (home)
<-
<- "That's our advantage at Microsoft; we set the standards and we can change
them."
<- Karen Hargrove of Microsoft quoted in the Feb 1993 Unix Review editorial.