RE: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-03 13:02:36
On Wed, 3 Mar 93 08:32:38 PST, weber(_at_)eitech(_dot_)com (Jay C. Weber)
said:

        Jay> So if we want Content-type to be purely about
        Jay> interpretation, and I think it should be, then we should
        Jay> (1) forget about multipart/attachments, (2) remove
        Jay> multipart/parallel, (3) remove the "displayed serially"
        Jay> semantics from multipart/mixed, and (4) figure out
        Jay> another way of including presentation information.
        Jay> Content-Disposition is a good idea, maybe
        Jay> Content-Presentation is more intuitive.  Here's a new
        Jay> take:

At this late date, it is not really feasible to make this kind of
surgery to 1431, is it? Still, I support your desire to remove the
"displayed serially"; "mixed" does not imply time in the way
"parallel" does; it strikes me that most graphical MUAs will simply
display multipart/mixed as a list of icons or buttons, allowing the
user to choose which she wants to look at, and when. Because of this,
it might be for the best to replace the text:

        "and intended to be displayed serially."

with

        "of each other."

in section 7.2.2.

Perhaps we should have a multipart/sequential? Might be good for
shipping jokes around, allowing you to press <return> for the
punchline :)

-Rens