RE: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-03 09:51:56

From: Ned Freed <NED(_at_)SIGURD(_dot_)INNOSOFT(_dot_)COM>

However, I don't have strong feelings about this. For that matter, I
don't know if anyone really cares about positioning information in MIME.

We care about positioning information in MIME; in fact we invented a format
and use it in a new piece of software.  One of these days I'll post a
description.

By the way, this reminds me of an argument I had once regarding the
meaning of the spec's use of "displayed serially".

From RFC1341:

                     data in multiple  formats,  "parallel"  for  parts
                     intended to be viewed simultaneously, and "digest"
                     for multipart entities in which each  part  is  of
                     type "message".

I don't see how the term "simultaneously" could be taken to imply something
geometrical. I therefore don't think this needs to be clarified -- if it
does I can't see why.

I said the problem was with the ambiguity of "displayed serially" for
multipart/mixed, not with "simultaneously" for multipart/parallel.  In
fact, the essence of my old argument was that my friend's interpretation
of multipart/mixed didn't make sense when taken with the definition of
multipart/parallel.  But it's bad form to have such dependencies of meaning,
especially since multipart/parallel is defined second and less frequently
used!  It's not a big deal, but I hope you get my point.

Jay
--
Jay C. Weber                                    weber(_at_)eitech(_dot_)com
Enterprise Integration Technologies