RE: file attachments in MIME

1993-03-04 16:09:25
On Thu, 4 Mar 1993 14:59:20 -0500, lee(_at_)sqlee(_dot_)sq(_dot_)com
(Liam R. E. Quin) said:

        Liam> Should mailtool use "content-type: application" for
        Liam> attachments, or should there be a "content-type:
        Liam> attachment" added to the draft?

I think it important to distinguish between content-type and
disposition. Content-Type should indicate the kind of data in a
bodypart, not it's placement in the body of the message. If you make
attachment an application subclass, where do you specify the
application that created the attachment? In a parameter?? Ugly.

A Content-Disposition header separates these two attributes neatly.

This is not to say that a compund document type should not be an
application subclass: the point is that in the absence of a viewer for
the compound document, your MUA can still get a hint as to display
semantics from the Content-Disposition header, without loss of
Content-Type information about the body part. For Sun's mailtool, I
would expect something like:

(etc)

-Rens
 /__) /__  /| / (    |  J. Laurens Troost    Lehman Brothers Technical Services
/  \ (___ / |/ __)   |  *Opinions expressed herein are mine. Mine, I tell you!*
INET: rens(_at_)shearson(_dot_)com        VOICE: (212) 464-3705        FAX:
(212) 464-2040