Re: 1154bis quick analysis

1993-03-18 12:17:42
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 17-Mar-93 1154bis quick analysis "David
Herron"@twg.com (2339)

- they have defined LZW and LZJU90 compression.

The last two are things we might could borrow for use in MIME.

Yes, I think we all agree that compression is badly needed.  The reason
we've never had it, though, is that all the compression schemes --
including these -- are reportedly under a legal cloud that makes them
inappropriate for IETF standardization.  If this is true, it applies to
the 1154 document equally as it applies to MIME.  If this is not true, I
want to know, because I will then be EAGER to reopen the discussion of
the right way to do compression in MIME.   (Actually, I think it's
really easy -- I think a "compressed64" content-transfer-encoding is all
we really need.  Well, maybe also a "compressed" without the "64" for
enclaves that have binary transport....)  -- Nathaniel