Re: Massive Content-Type definition ideas & Gopher

1993-06-07 08:59:55
In other words, by "flat specification" you mean that in addition to the
current Content-Transfer-Encoding: values of

      7bit
      quoted-printable
      base64
      8bit
      binary
      x-foo
      x-bar

there would be added, for each sanctioned compression algorithm, another set
of values, such as

      CompressionAlgorithm1-7bit
      CompressionAlgorithm1-quoted-printable
      CompressionAlgorithm1-base64
      CompressionAlgorithm1-8bit
      CompressionAlgorithm1-binary
      CompressionAlgorithm1-x-foo
      CompressionAlgorithm1-x-bar

and

      CompressionAlgorithm2-7bit
      CompressionAlgorithm2-quoted-printable
      CompressionAlgorithm2-base64
      CompressionAlgorithm2-8bit
      CompressionAlgorithm2-binary
      CompressionAlgorithm2-x-foo
      CompressionAlgorithm2-x-bar

It's not anywhere nearly that bad.  First of all, we don't need multiple
compression algorithms -- we need one that everyone can use freely.

Second, there would only be two new encodings added: one using base64
and another using binary.  Since compression presumably generates
a stream of random-looking octets, quoted-printable wouldn't ever be
optimal or useful for readablity, and compressed-{7,8}bit wouldn't be useful
at all.

Is this truly the way that other people are feeling?

I personally find even doubling the number of encodings to be rather
onerous. Wouldn't it be much cleaner to specify the compression algorithm
separately?

I'd personally like to avoid making such a drastic change to the MIME
framework.   Also, if memory serves, we have discussed this topic before
and ruled out multi-layer encodings.

The decompression truly is an orthogonal component of the encoding. Some may
consider it a 3rd axis, but Dave is correct that both are part of the
details about how the data is to be handled. However, the two are NOT close
enough in concept that they should be combined into a flat namespace.

For example,

This would probably break current MIME readers that would ignore the
parameter.

Keith