Thoughts about characters transmission

1993-07-09 09:47:42
I have not much time to spend on this subject, but I would have felt bad
not to express these opinions once.

I have learned with much interest that people envision solutions for
international characters data exchange with a wider point of view than
usually heard in the networking sphere.
I have been spending quite a time of my life with such problems.
I thought I could contribute with a small text explaining the way
I have finally come to think of the problem.
Nothing totally new, probably, but a different shed of light, maybe.
The text may sound theoretical at first. It is just terse. The ideas are
based on experience. They have been put to use in the field of 8-bit
characters. I participated to the design of Kermit multinational 8-bit
characters support and the TCP/IP network I work for is well on the way
towards the the same theory that every character on the communication
line is ISO 8859-1. Any exception to this, like translating EBCDIC directly
to PC code on one machine, is considered harmful to our internetworking,
even if convenient.
Every piece working towards a common well defined goal finally pays more
when all parts start to clutch than wandering for immediate interest.
And I hope that saying that my language is French will make the ideas
in a difficult to write text even more convincing, despite being short.

Networking has had for long the problem of a common representation of
computer-specific data (numbers, bit strings...) on the wire (rather, on the
connection), because different computers had different conventions for them.
To solve this problem, rules like XDR (external data representation) have
been devised, and, because it was so important, the rules have been adopted.

Character data caused little problem because ASCII was assumed, full stop.
There was hardly an expressed rule. It was tacit computer culture.

Now that networking reaches its real dimension of an international mesh,
the problem of national languages usage becomes very real, at least locally,
but more and more internationally. Any computer has to exchange more
than ASCII.
Many generous people have spent much time to have system Si with character
code Ci translate data for system Sj with code Cj under protocol Pk.
With much respect for their work, this is not (no longer) the way to do it.
Supposing that N character codes exist on different systems, the effort
amounts to M*N**2 to reach a complete solution. Let us count the different
character codes (IBM have their share) and protocols, the bill is amazing!

The _most_important_point_ is that a single common representation code
be defined _for_the_line_ (suiting the purpose, namely to cover all national
languages in one single way) and that people be instructed that every bit
of text should travel in that code on the wire, whatever_the_protocol_is.
(Meaning that common tools be available to translate present local code).
It is best for a computer to use the code of interchange internally,
but all computers in the world cannot be modified overnight.
What computer Si has to do to abide by the external representation is
the sole matter of computer Si: to appear to others as if it were using
it internally. On any protocol the same way, even during dialog with
computer Ti using the same code ("One need not know which kind of system
one is sending mail to"). No tagging of the data nor any need to know
any character code other than one's own and the interchange code.
The M*N**2 order of magnitude reduces to N.
This is the extended "ASCII culture" of some future, no doubt.
It is a very important goal just now.
It is a fact that the choice of a character code has long lasting effects,
because of the building software base. The impact of today's decisions
is amplified by time. The sooner the better. The better the sooner.

More theoretically said this time, this local-code to exchange-code
translation works much a la OSI layer (or "a` la", if you don't mind :-)
Data is encoded towards a lower layer, exchanged, and decoded back to
same level, but possibly to a different local code.
It probably belongs between level 6 and 7, as it could prove that the
application layer provides all the textual data. But that's not sure,
like for XDR which can be used from many levels to convert CPU data
to line format.
Should we merge "presentation" and "representation" layers, split level 6
like level 2 or not assign it to any level, I'll leave the discussion to
the theoricians.

What seems clear in my mind is that the translation is not in several
final protocols, but a protocol by itself -- like XDR -- that other
protocols refer to.
And this may be the most important point.
It is a pity to see each protocol tackle the problem its own way.

Note that the "level 6 or so" concept applied to text extends slightly beyond
the representation of characters (and binary data) towards file structure.
Think of the line separator problem of NFS for the basic case of text files.
While file structure (including file name etc...) is clearly a specialized
problem (as opposed to communication of streams of text), the impact on
systems and protocols design is just as high.

Clearly, it will take much time to stand in ASCII's shoes.
But doing otherwise would take even longer to erase and redo.
One cannot increase complication eternally.

Some intermediate compromises will have to be used like additional
encoding on pathes some insist to not even try to convert to 8-bit,
asking the rest of the networks to convert to 7-bit instead and to
rewrite all their programs to use a complicated method for sending
plain text when the sole problem is that it contains 8-bit data.

The important thing is that the new layer be known and used.
It's the interest of both the software writer and buyer.
It will get void when a system will use the interchange code for itself.

Now that the international character code ISO 10646 is out, isn't it time
for communication systems to be able to not only exchange pictures and sound
but also plain text?  Will ISO 10646 be used by OSI 6?

Thanks for your interest.
I go away for holidays today. If you write anything you want me to read,
please make a personal reply and allow for two weeks before I can read it.
I have picked addresses from a BOF announcement and sent to mailing lists
I am not on. Feel free to forward the text to anyone intersted.

Andr'e PIRARD        SEGI, Univ. de Li`ege      | 139.165.0.0 IP (ULg)
B26 - Sart Tilman    B-4000 Li`ege 1 (Belgium)  | Architecture & Adm.
pirard(_at_)vm1(_dot_)ulg(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be aka
PIRARD(_at_)BLIULG11(_dot_)BITNET   +32 (41) 564932

What is an FAQ is a frequently asked question.