Re: standards/suggestions for MIME transport of PC filetypes?

1993-08-18 14:03:22
At  2:44 PM 8/18/93 -0500, ray(_at_)rays(_dot_)frontiertech(_dot_)com wrote:
This is the way Super-TCP/NFS for Windows Email handles the non-MIME
specific file types.  The user can set up associations for the standard MIME
types (i.e. GIF<->".GIF", JPEG<->".JPG", etc.) and everything else uses the
application/octet-stream type.

Which is great for things for which real types don't exist.  But lots of
documents are platform-independent nowadays, and getting these types
registered is important so that everyone can play rationally.

I'm sure you probably realize that, but I want to make it perfectly clear
(shake jowls :-)).

I think the sort of dual-level registry mentioned before has some merit.
One set of types for use when you want to be maximally interoperable with
mail readers, and another when you want simply to label file types for
transport over mail.

I want there to be a type for WordPerfect documents, so I know what this
incomprehensible gook is when I get it; but I don't want having such a type
to be tantamount to saying that a good MIME mail reader ought to be able to
display them without a lot of help.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Inc.