Re: Comments on MIME/SGML

1994-02-21 08:16:05
Dan,

   1. We make the following correspondence between the terms of the SGML
   standard and the MIME RFC:

       SGML SYSTEM identifier => MIME Content-ID

        I proposed in an earlier note that the SGML SYSTEM identifier
        should be a URI and that a special form of URI (cid:) should
        be used to specify a content identifier within a MIME
        multipart message.

        SGM SYSTEM identifier  => URI

        This allows SGML to reference anything in the universal
        syntax, inclusing now URLs and later URNs, and
        other parts of a MIME object using the cid: form.
        I think this is important, as external references
        are important too, and one will need to mix them.

        Tim BL