Re: MIME compression mechanism

1994-10-14 10:40:48

      I only vaguely remember your suggestion of gzip encoding.
From the above,  I presume that it would be gzip+Base64,  which is
what came to my mind too.   Do you have a reference to a draft?

no draft.  actually I had thought of two separate encodings: gzip-binary (for
when binary transport becomes a reality) and gzip64.

      Also,  how firm is the definition of text/plain?
I mean ... if we have  CT: text/plain  and  CTE: gzip64,
then are we assured that lines will be  CR/LF  delimited?
I'm a little annoyed by some UNIX clients/apps that send "text"
with NLs (LFs) instead of CR/LF when you "attach" a text file.

The definition is firm, but the wording in 1521 could use some work.

Text/plain *always* uses CRLF as line delimiters, regardless of encoding;
UNIX UAs that don't convert to canonical form before encoding are broken.

Keith