Re: UNICODE (was Re: NULL)

1994-11-02 11:43:10
At 10:48 AM 11/2/94, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Wed, 02 Nov 1994 06:23:17 +0200, Masataka Ohta said:
This is the appropriate forum for the internationalization of e-mail,
I think, to which UNICODE and charset are unrelated.

I'm confused.

Will somebody please re-parse this sentence for me in a way that I can
understand?  It seems to be that internationalizing E-mail is *entirely*
related to charset.

That's because you're a Western Barbarian, and can't understand the ways of
those Inscrutable Orientals.

Ohta thinks that ISO-2022 is the only way to represent human language in
computers, and that character sets are a horrible idea, developed solely
and deliberately as a cultural insult to Asian people.

He further thinks that everything magically understands ISO-2022 with no
effort, whereas character sets must be painstakingly programmed, and won't
work even if they are.

Still confused?  Join the club.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated.  "Oog make mission statement."