Re: UNICODE (was Re: NULL)

1994-11-06 09:01:47
On Wed, 02 Nov 1994 06:23:17 +0200, Masataka Ohta said:
This is the appropriate forum for the internationalization of e-mail,
I think, to which UNICODE and charset are unrelated.

I'm confused.

You don't understand the issue from the beginning.

It seems to be that internationalizing E-mail is *entirely*
related to charset.

Wrong. That's mere localization.

As paf(_at_)nada(_dot_)kth(_dot_)se (Patrik Faltstrom) recently wrote, Swedish
need
simultaneous support for ISO 8859/1 and ISO 8859/10 to be able to
use English, Swedish, Lappish, German, French and so on
simultaneously. We, Asian people, do want to use Chinese, Japanese
and Korean simulaneously.

The problem is that barbarians can undersand no culture (including
Swedish).

Or have we given up on trying to find a way to tell
whether the bytes are US ASCII, or Cyrillic, or Korean?

You don't have to give up trying, because you don't have to try
from the beginning.

ISO 2022 is the way.

                                                        Masataka Ohta