Re: Questions about 1522 encoding scheme

1995-01-24 12:01:38
At 17.58 1/24/95, John Gardiner Myers wrote:
paf(_at_)bunyip(_dot_)com (Patrik Faltstrom) writes:
For example:

      =?US-ASCII?Q?Keith_?=   Moore

Keith    Moore

You must have space between the encoded word and the text, so
I presume that the spaces after the encoded word should be
deleted.

No, spaces are only deleted when they separate a pair of adjacent
encoded-words.

Ok, so if I have an encoded-word and text besides each other without
whitespace, I have to (when encoding the encoded word) insert some
white-space, and that white-space is when decoding not deleted?

OR, have I missed something in the RFC-822/RFC-1522 grammars that
explicitely says that the encoding should ONLY be on whole "words"
which are separated by linear whitespace, and that this whitespace
should NOT be included in the encoded-word (if not the following
word also is an encoded-word)?

In the following discussion I presume that my (probably faulty) brain
still thinks that two "words" can follow each other without whitespace
inbetween.

The string:

   Keith Moore

Can be devided into the string "Keith " and "Moore", and when encoding
the first one, I encode it like "=?US-ASCII?Q?Keith_?=". The second
is as is, i.e. "Moore".

When putting these strings together I have to insert at least one
whitespace character, so the result will be "=?US-ASCII?Q?Keith_?= Moore"
which decoded is "Keith  Moore" with two spaces inbetween.

Isn't this the result? OR is the rule as complicated as I now think,
that the space inbetween should be encoded/deleted ONLY if you
have two adjacent _encoded_ words? Ieach...how tricky...

    Patrik