Re: comments on latest MIME drafts

1995-05-24 14:26:56
Larry Masinter writes:

And the other encodings haven't transformed character sets but
have just caused some terminology changes in order to make
distinctions that didn't exist before.

How about:

  NOTE: The term "character set" as used originally in MIME arose
  with the use of US-ASCII and other 7bit and 8bit specifications
  which employ a simple mapping from single octets to single
  characters. The advent of multi-octet coded character sets and
  switching techniques has made the situation more complex. For
  example, some communities have adopted the term "character encoding"
  for what MIME calls a "character set", while using the phrase "coded
  character set" to denote an abstract mapping from integers (not
  octets) to characters.

At the time of specifying the first RFCs of MIME, we were fully
aware that taking a simplistic 7bit or 8bit view was not
adequate and that we needed support for multi-octet schemes.
These were under development as RFC1342 etc were published.

keld