Re: comments on latest MIME drafts

1995-05-24 17:24:28
It's possible to remove some of historical order from the paragraph so
that we don't have to debate who knew what when. I'd suggest instead
of:

  NOTE: The term "character set" as used originally in MIME arose
  with the use of US-ASCII and other 7bit and 8bit specifications
  which employ a simple mapping from single octets to single
  characters. The advent of multi-octet coded character sets and
  switching techniques has made the situation more complex. For
  example, some communities have adopted the term "character encoding"
  for what MIME calls a "character set", while using the phrase "coded
  character set" to denote an abstract mapping from integers (not
  octets) to characters.

to say

    NOTE: The term "character set" was originally used in MIME with
    specifications such as US-ASCII and other 7bit and 8bit schemes
    which have a simple mapping from single octets to single
    characters. Multi-octet coded character sets and
    switching techniques make the situation more complex. For
    example, some communities use the term "character encoding"