Re: Prohibition of EBCDIC in text/plain

1995-06-08 15:35:09
By using this encoding, this is to me actually an encoding which
can be sent as a text/plain message, because a 'CR', 'LF'
and NULL are encoded as themselves and those bit-patterns does
not exist in the multibyte encoding of the other characters.

If I am wrong, please let me know.

        In EBCDIC,  while CR is still 0x0D,  LF is 0x25.
Worse,  while UNIX uses LF as NL,  EBCDIC systems actually use the
separate character for NL at code point 0x15  (which maps to an ASCII
or ISO character in the 0x80 .. 0xAF range,  which code point I've
forgotten,  but it's also called NL).

        More confusing still is the fact that most EBCDIC-based systems
use record oriented filesystems instead of stream oriented filesystems.
So there's no CR nor LF nor even an NL between those lines.   So if you
toss out the record structure then you get a bunch of text all run
together as one very_long_line.

  Patrik

--
Rick Troth <troth(_at_)ua1vm(_dot_)ua(_dot_)edu>, Houston, Texas, USA
http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~troth/