Re: RFC1847 - encrypted as multipart

1995-10-27 08:21:31
Ned,

        While we're on the topic, could you refresh my (our) memory about the
reason for having encrypted done as a multipart rather than a single
body-part?

        I understand (and very much like) having signed done as a multipart,
since
it factors out the security goo into a separate body part, leaving the
clear and readable message to be processed in usual mime fashion.

        For encrypted, such separate processing isn't possible since the message
is opaque. What is the reason, then, for keeping the security control goo
separated into a different mime body part from the encrypted data goo?

        In spite of having suggested the generic approach for using multipart, I
don't remember the reason for applying it to the encrypted mode.  Folks ask
me periodically and it's embarassing not to know.  A 10-second tutorial for
me(us) would be helpful.

        Thanks.

d/

Dave Crocker                                                +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                                fax:  +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.
dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com
Sunnyvale, CA  94086 USA                 http://users.aimnet.com/~dcrocker/
   ***  Email address is changed from the