Re: Combined news and e-mail clients

1995-11-26 05:35:29
The IETF area director for applications, Harald T. Alvestrand,
has informed me about the proper procedure for getting work
under way for an IETF standard for combined news and e-mail clients.

The proper way is to
(1) Start a mailing list on the issue
(2) Begin work in this list by defining the issues and scope
(3) Find a chairman and an editor
(4) Write a draft charter (problem description)

I have started this procedure by starting a mailing list.
The name of the mailing list is
   mailnews-l(_at_)segate(_dot_)sunet(_dot_)se
and you subscribe to it by sending a message to
   listserv(_at_)segate(_dot_)sunet(_dot_)se
where the text of the message contains the words

sub mailnews-l <your own name (not your e-mail address)>

So please, those who are interested in developing an IETF
standard for combined news and e-mail clients, join this
list.

I suggest that the charter of the new group also should
include gateways between e-mail and news, since the issues
for such gateways and the issues for combined news and
e-mail clients are much the same.

Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)