RE: Line Wrapping Question

1996-02-07 18:44:37
Ned:

Please  copy me on any issues you see with Microsoft's
support of MIME or any aspect of Internet Mail, and I will
make sure that these issues get handled correctly. I
apologize if you have been frustrated by many people
asking the same question on this topic.

I read your response to Terry's mail, about Microsoft not
playing by the rules, and was concerned that you feel that
there is something that Microsoft is doing knowingly to
not conform to the MIME specifications. This is absolutely
not the case.

Anyway rather than dwell on what's already been said and
done, I wanted to talk more about the issue I desperately
want to solve.

I see the distinction between CTE being for transport
rather than presentation purposes and I agree.

Ned, I believe that your take on QP line wrapping is never
use the line wrapping for text/plain message bodies on
outbound messages, but do so for attachments right?

Therefore when a UA generates long lines with extended
characters in a message. Lets say the length of the line
is 87 characters, and you do not support text/enriched.
You should use option b) below.

a) Use QP and therefore wrap lines using the QP method

b) Use QP and hard wrap lines at <= 76 characters

The problem  with option a is that it could force the
unwrapping at the receiving end, and subsequently could
require re-wrapping for UAs not capable of presenting
lines longer than say 80 chars for sake of a better
example
The problem we originally saw with option b is that jagged
lines get presented to the recipient

For option b we also considered the following issue when
we did the QP style line wrapping -

A UA generates a message, with extended characters, and
all lines were <= to 76 characters long, therefore the QP
encoding for long lines was not an issue. When the
recipient replies to the message, they prefixed a "> "
combination on the lines, therefore taking some of the
line lengths over 76 characters. Now the reply is sent
with a jagged line.

We are considering hard wrapping at <= 76 characters even
if QP is used for the moment, but really would like your
feedback on the right thing to do. i.e. is jagged lines
something you believe is acceptable in Internet Mail for
these cases?

We are looking at using a lower limit for the wrapping
than 76, and using an upper threshold to decide when to
wrap. Have you used heard of people doing this, and what
upper threshold did they use. We would use the lower limit
to deal with cases where replies to mail originated in our
systems, could be replied to and we could respond back
without forcing jagged lines for those messages atleast,
but this reasoning is still being thought through.

RE: Text/Enriched (I am investigating what supporting that
means right now by the way, but I am concerned with the
interoperability cases since not every MIME aware
application may have implemented downgrading to text/plain
if they don't support text/enriched.)

Please take me up on my offer to be the liaison for
Internet Mail issues where you see Microsoft making
mistakes on, and I will ensure that these get the proper
attention. Lets communicate on these issues, that's the
only way that we can guarantee a greater level of
interoperability and hence customer satisfaction in
messaging products. (That's the right goal to have)

Thanks,
-Suki

Sukvinder S. Gill
Microsoft Corporation