Re: questions on QP, non-text attachments and munpack

1996-02-15 09:23:51
Yes, all text/* objects are by the spec textual. And non-text/* objects may
be either textual or non-textual.

Are there any non-{text,message,multipart}/* objects that require that
CRLF be mapped to and from the local newline convetion?

Reading the IANA list, I didn't see any, but I'm not familar with all of
them.  Some of them (e.g. application/pdf) appear to be tolerant of
changes to the newline convention, while others (application/PostScript)
may be intolerant of such changes, depending on the content.  But I don't
know of any which *require* CRLF->local-convention to be usable.

If this is the case, the "do CRLF->local conversion only for text/*"
would seem to be the right heuristic.

For what it's worth, this is the approach I use. However, my life is further
complicated by the fact that newline conversion is far from the only
local-convention in some of the environments I support. In particular, I have
to allow for the testing and setting of fairly complex file attributes based on
file type, along with some fairly peculiar format conversions.

The net result is that I have a table that specifies all of this stuff. And
while at present there are no exceptions based on newline conversion in there,
there are a bunch of others having to do with various other sorts of
conversions I have to do.

                                Ned