Re: request from HTTP draft editors for charset registration element

1996-04-29 03:22:58
(I'm told this is the right list to comment on MIME registration
procedures, e.g., draft-ietf-822ext-mime-reg-03.txt).

In the course of preparing the HTTP 1.1 draft, we wanted to suggest
some preferred names for charsets as registered by IANA.

The concept of a "primary name" whose use is preferred over any other
name has been part of the draft procedure for some time. I think this
meets your criteria for a preferred name.

Right now, charsets are registered with many aliases. However, for use
in HTTP, all of the aliases are really cumbersome. We would like
senders to preferentially send

      ISO-8859-1

instead of any of the other aliases for that charset.

Is this a possibility?

See above -- I think it is already a done deal. (Unless someone objects,
of course.)

Where is the revised charset registration specification, since it
isn't in reg-03?

It has been submitted as an I-D and should be out shortly.

                                Ned