Re: MIME implementation documentation

1996-08-22 22:41:40
On Thu, 22 Aug 1996 00:38:46 +0200,
Harald(_dot_)T(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)uninett(_dot_)no said:
When it encounters a /parallel, it toggles the "serial" flag.
That has the interesting property that if you have the structure

multipart/parallel
  message/rfc822
    multipart/mixed
       image/gif
       application/postscript

the parts of the INNER stuff are presented in parallel. Not exactly
what I would call expected behaviour....but the support is there.

Ouch.  That's so unexpected it hurts.  ;)  I *thought* I smelled
something evil about what that 'serial' flag actually did, but
30 minutes of pondering the code failed to enlighten.  All I can
say in my defense is that it's hard to be an expectant father and
also understand convoluted C code. ;)

All the more basis for calling for multiparts/parallel to be moved
out to a seperate document - that way, those the "support" it via
downgrading to /mixed will still be technically in the right, and
those that intend to implement more will be able to hash THAT around
in experimental and proposed standard until we get something that
actually says what semantics we intended to have...

/Valdis (who will now go and sit on the sidelines for 2 weeks, while
he takes paternity leave - a long-awaited daughter finally showed up
last night ;)